How to Break the Sugar Addiction
I’m here to share the facts about world’s oldest sweetener – the sugar. The real question is how to break the sugar addiction? Is it possible to stay away with this legal drug? Yes, but don’t underestimate the power of sugar!
What is sugar?
Sugar has been in our nutrition for thousands of years. They are carbohydrates, commonly known as carbs, which provides energy for your body.
Glucose is the most common sugar in your body. It is required for brain, muscles and major organs to function properly. For example, the brain needs around 130g of glucose per day. Some sugars are found in foods by naturally and others are used while cooking and progressing.
Your body can’t make a difference between different kind of sugars. It breaks them down in precisely the same way. For example, the sucrose in a pear is broken down same way as the sucrose in your chocolate bar.
Here is the most common sugars:
- Glucose and fructose – These are found in honey, fruits and vegetables.
- Sucrose – This is made up from glucose and fructose. Most commonly known as a “table-sugar”. It can be found also in the most fruits and vegetables.
- Lactose – This is often called as a “milk-sugar”. This kind of sugar is found in milk and other dairy products.
- Maltose – The “malt-sugar” is normally found malted beer and drinks.
Why shouldn’t you eat sugar
There is a lot of discussion around the world why you shouldn’t eat sugar. Here I will tell a few of those good reasons:
- Every time you eat sugar, it raises your body’s insulin levels. Insulin monitors your body’s sugar and fat balance. Constantly elevated insulin hormone increases storing up the fat in your body, especially in the waist region, as love handles and fat areas in your back.
- Eating a lot of sugar will make your insulin become less effective. Your body might become able to withstand insulin which is called insulin resistance. Symptoms of insulin resistance includes persistent exhaustion, high blood pressure, candy lust, night sweats and even infertility.
- Increasing insulin level also activates the body’s chronic inflammatory condition that can expose to many diseases. The sugar is one of the worst causes of cancer. It can also disturb the activity of good intestinal bacteria and can therefore cause some problems with your stomach.
- Eating lots of sugar is linked to numerous health conditions, including obesity and metabolic syndrome, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, chronic inflammation, high blood pressure and cholesterol, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, dental plaque and cavities.
- Sugar is full of empty calories, pure energy without any nutrients. So if you fill your stomach with sugar, there might not be enough room to healthier food. That is why sugar is making us gain more weight.
Replacing sugary treats with healthier ones can help a person get all of their essential minerals and vitamins. It might also help a person to lose some weight.
How to break free
The most important thing, at least for me, is not to buy any sugary treats to home. I can not have something sweet in my house, it won’t last even for a week, probably not even the whole day. Having nothing tempting in the house is easier for you to avoid them and you are probably not going to give that much energy to go get it from the store.
Another good rule which I’m following is that you CAN’T go to the store if you are hungry. Otherwise, you will buy something unhealthy and regret it later on. So always eat something before going to grocery shopping
Easement for your sweet-addiction, buy something low glycemic and healthy alternatives. They will help to your sweet tooth and won’t trigger you. For me the best choices are fruits, protein bars and protein ice cream, yummy!
Many of us are eating sugary foods for an easy comfort. They can reward you from after a long day or helping you get pass the hard times. Where ever the comfort is needed for, it is hard to break the habit for easy rely on. Try to find another things which make you comfort and can feel like a reward. It has to be something that can easily replace the sugary treats. Here is few examples: book a massage time for yourself, take a long bath, have a delicious meal or meet your friends.
In social situation is hard to get pass from sugary treats. Having lunch before the party and maybe having your own non-sugary treat in your pocket can be the savior to evade those temptations!
This might surprise you…
You have probably heard that sugar isn’t the healthiest one for you. Nonetheless, you are still having graving towards this unhealthy sweet.
The maximum added sugar intake should be:
- For women: 100 calories per day (6 teaspoons or 25 grams)
- For men: 150 calories per day (9 teaspoons or 37.5 grams)
You might be surprised to hear this, but these following values will show you the amount of sugar per 100g serving:
- Twix bar : 5.68 teaspoons of sugar, 57 g
- Milky Way bar : 7.02 teaspoons of sugar, 58 g
- Snickers bar : 5.83 teaspoons of sugar, 57 g
- Red Bull : 5.35 teaspoons of sugar, one can
- Coca-Cola : 7.25 teaspoons of sugar, one can, 330 ml
- Strawberries: 0.99 teaspoons of sugar
- Mangos: 2.77 teaspoons of sugar
- Grapes: 3.14 teaspoons of sugar
Take a good look at you diet. Are you eating too much of sugar? Keep in mind that fruits are part of a healthy and well-balanced diet and you shouldn’t get rid off them.
You should know that this process isn’t easy. Sugar addiction is hard thing to overcome.
And remember, if you fail and break up your promise not to eat any sugary treats, you should know that this is very normal. Don’t feel beaten up. Just pick yourself up and start again!
For your added sugar-free life,
Founder of Miracle Workouts